The identity of Cain’s wife in the book of Genesis is perhaps the most baffling mystery in the Old Testament. It stems from the story of Adam and Eve’s first born son, Cain, killing his younger brother, Abel. God had rejected Cain’s offering of “fruit of the ground”, but accepted Abel’s offering of “firstlings of his flock”. This angered Cain, who later lured his brother to the field where he killed him. As punishment for Cain’s sin, God banished Cain, sending him to the “land of Nod”.
The verse that has caused so much confusion over the past 1700 years is this. Genesis 4:16 – “And Cain went out from the presence of the Lord, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. 17 – And Cain knew his wife;…”. But, just who was she? The majority of speculators have accepted the theory that, since Cain and Abel were Adam and Eve’s first and second born sons, Cain’s wife had to be a younger sister since there would have been no one else in the world for Cain to marry.
But before we try to resolve this ancient biblical mystery, let’s resolve an even greater mystery…Why hasn’t anyone ever been able to give a clear cut answer to the seemingly simple question…”Who was Cain’s wife?” And why are there so many Bible stories that have suffered the same fate?
An Error in Translation? After the invasions of Alexander the Great, 356-323 BC, the entire Mediterranean area had become Hellenized (of Greek influence). Greek became the accepted language of the masses. Even the Hebrew rabbis had all but forgotten their native tongue in favor of the new Greek language. With the passing of time, these rabbis could no longer read or understand their own scriptures. That’s when the Hebrews engaged 70 elders who could still understand Hebrew to translate the original scriptures (the Pentateuch) into Greek. This version of the Pentateuch became known as the Septuagint. Problem was, key words metaphorically written by Moses in Hebrew had different meanings in Greek. So, the intended analogy was lost. Unfortunately, these flawed scriptures were added to the Christian Bible about 300 AD, and today, represent the first five books of the Old Testament. So these are the same flawed scriptures we are reading in our Bibles, only in a different language. Quite simply, it is impossible to accurately understand the true meaning of the Bible using flawed scripture as a basis from which to interpret.
A New Understanding. To understand who Cain’s wife was, it will be necessary to utilize the “God Anomaly hypothesis” going forward, instead of what has traditionally been taught in American, Christian churches for the past 250 years. In the God Anomaly hypothesis, these metaphorically sensitive words that were misinterpreted in the Greek Septuagint have been corrected. I am confident that my hypothesis is accurate because, by using this same hypothesis on sixteen different Bible mysteries, a successful resolution has emerged with staggering certainty.
The God Anomaly hypothesis is the only biblical theory in the world that encompasses and utilizes both secular evidence, which is scientifically based, as well as biblical testaments as its foundation. It has been carefully developed and continually checked for flaws over the past 13 years. Surprisingly, the continuity between scientific data and biblical scripture go well beyond mere coincidence. Since the inception of this new hypothesis, nearly 1,800 Christian ministers and priests across America were given an opportunity to weigh in with their opinion about the feasibility of its biblical accuracy. Their total silence has been a deafening testimony, supporting the belief that my opinions are right on target.
Solving the Puzzle of who Cain’s wife was.
1. The first mistake is to assume that Adam was the first human on earth, making it mandatory for Cain’s sister to be his wife. But God classifies all humans into two broad categories; the Hebrews, who were the descendants of Abraham and therefore also the descendants of Adam, and the Gentiles, which included all other races on earth. So Adam was clearly the first Hebrew God created, not the first human.
2. The “two separate creations” model is easily confirmed by scripture in the book of Genesis. The first creation of man was immediately following the creation of everything else on earth at Genesis 1:26-30. This would clearly have been the Gentiles or Modern Man whom anthropologists have confirmed as being in the fossil record from 250,000 to 500,000 years ago.
3. Adam, the first Hebrew, was not created until much later at Genesis 2:7, which biblical scholars have reliably established as being in the year 4004 BC. This was a mere 6020 years ago. Further, collected scientific data suggests the world’s population would have been from 5 to 7 million people six thousand years ago. Some estimates range as high as 27 million people. This evidence confirms the existence of the much older Gentile races.
4. By correcting this one flaw, it allows Cain’s mating possibilities to include the Gentiles. And since Cain was banned from being with his Hebrew family in Eden, he really wouldn’t have had any other choice than to marry a Gentile woman. To further strengthen this scenario, we can feel confident that the land of Nod had to be inhabited by other people, otherwise, why would this land, which was located east of Eden, have even been named?
5. Also, in the scripture quoted earlier, Genesis 4:16-17 “And Cain went out from the presence of the Lord, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. :17 – And Cain knew his wife;…, notice that no mention of a wife is made before Cain’s arriving in the land of Nod. So, clearly, Cain’s wife had to be a Gentile.
6. Of chronological significance is also this: Adam and Eve’s third born, after the banishment of Cain to the land of Nod, was Seth, another son. No mention is made of any other children being born to Adam and Eve until after the birth of Seth. So clearly, there would have been no possibility of Cain marrying a sister, since he would have already been established in the land of Nod.
7. Cain’s wife was clearly a Gentile woman. But since the Pentateuch, which includes the book of Genesis, was written by Hebrews, no one should expect to find the given name of Cain’s wife, since she was a Gentile.
NOTE: Christianity has traditionally ignored the modern advances of science and all the helpful data that’s been collected over the past 150 years. This is unfortunate, since this information can be used to confirm the accuracy of the Bible, but only when the Bible has been properly interpreted. I believe the pride of the church as a whole will not allow for misinterpretation to be a possibility. That’s truly ironic when you consider that pride is listed as the first of the seven cardinal sins.
The sensible resolution of 15 other Bible mysteries can be found in my book, “The GOD Anomaly”. Click on the book image in the sidebar of this post.